IACE Summer Program
Narni (Terni), July 2017
DETAILS WILL BE ANNOUNCED IN MARCH 2017
Every year during the summer the Italian American Committee on Education (IACE) invites all schools that have an Italian program in the tri-state area to participate in the IACE Summer Program – a scholarship trip to study Italian in Italy. The only expenses that the participants need to pay will be the registration fee and the airfare from New York to Italy and from Italy back to New York.
Two chaperons will accompany and be with the winners at all time. Every morning of the trip the students will indulge in Italian language lessons just before exploring some of Italy’s most beautiful and enchanting locations.
How to proceed:
STEP 1 – APPLY
Teachers are invited to pick up to 2 of their most proficient Italian students.
Each pre-selected student is asked to create an original multimedia project (lenght: 2/3 minutes) in Italian on a given topic. For details please see the announcement at the top of this page. Project Sample
Teachers fill out the Application Form with each student’s information and project.
- be between the ages of 13 and 18
- have the parents’ written permission to participate
- have good comprehension of the Italian language
- be able to provide costs for registration fee ($150) and travel to and from Italy
- already possess a U.S. passport or green card
- Schools must have paid the $100 IACE Membership to participate.
Since it is our objective to give opportunities to as many students as possible, we kindly ask teachers to give preference to those who have never participated in an IACE study-vacation experience.
STEP 2 – SELECTION
Evaluation and judging is conducted by a IACE Selection Committee, which consists of three IACE Board members. The selection committee reads and evaluates all properly completed applications in order to select the most promising applicants and to identify a number of alternates.
Committee members will consider several factors, such as:
- Intellectual interests and connection with the themes proposed
- Likelihood that the experience will enhance the applicant’s interest in the study of the Italian language
Teachers will be notified of winners via email.
STEP 3 – SUBMIT TRAVEL FORMS
After winners have been selected, all participants must submit the
- Parent Authorization form inclusive of assumption of risk and waiver, health history and media release form
- Payment of registration fee and airfare
Winners will receive the plane ticket and certificate during the award ceremony in May, followed by a seminar held by the Director of the program and the chaperons.
CONDITIONS OF AWARD
All students must travel with the group, no extensions for personal or family reasons are allowed before or after the trip.
The only expenses that the students need to pay will be the registration fee ($150) and the airfare from New York to Italy and from Italy back to New York along with personal spending money. IACE will purchase all airline tickets at a discount, but due to high season and the destination, expect the cost to be around $1500 – please note that the tickets are not refundable (no exceptions).
The group will be chaperoned at all times by two dedicated teachers.